How to Write an Evaluation Essay
An evaluation essay is similar to writing a review or giving feedback. Some see the essay as a way of judging someone or something as bad or good. This type of writing is commonly seen when a new movie or book is released. Since most people are familiar with the purpose behind the essay, it may not be as difficult to write. Keeping a few basic steps in mind can help you craft a detailed evaluation essay.
- Choosing your topic includes selecting a subject to evaluate. This is sometimes incorporated into the heading or title of the essay. Think about a good example of something in that related category to compare.
- Once you get an idea of what you want to evaluate, begin stating your topic by writing your opinion. Try to present interesting details about the subject. A good amount of details should help the reader in creating their own evaluation. Your thesis sentence tells the reader your opinion about the subject. Basically, you would say whether or not you liked it or recommend it.
- A good evaluation essay often has strong viewpoints; this is an opportunity to be opinionated about the subject matter. When presenting details have good paragraph structure and present information of importance from least to greatest.
- Provide evidence to support your opinion; use logic reasoning and quote references as needed. Include examples to back up your statement. You provide an argument for your judgment. Sometimes you may need to counter-argue if disagree with something others agreed with. Have good references to use to help your opinion be believable. If your essay is on a controversial topic you may need more evidence to support your opinion.
- Ending the essay may include a conclusion that restates the subject you evaluated. You’ll state your opinion in why you support the evaluation you gave.
- After completing your essay read it over. Make sure sentences and details make sense. Details should be presented clearly and the essay follows proper format structure. Proofread essay for grammar and spelling errors.
If you are not sure how to start your essay you can review samples to get more insight. Reviewing sample essays can be a good model to help you understand how to present information. Take time to find a few good examples to study; note paragraph structure, thesis and angle of subject matter.
How to Write an Evaluation Essay
Writing an evaluation essay is just like reviewing or rating something, such as a music album, movie, book, action, idea, people, or even someones performance. You base your evaluation on a certain criteria that you build up for a particular issue. In other words, you will organize your essay based on your judgement. In taking a stance, make your opinion clear and support your position with an evidence. So, below, there are a few steps on how to write an evaluation essay.
How To: Evaluation Essay Writing
Before you start writing an evaluation essay, you have to think of a topic first and decide on which side you are going to take whether you agree or disagree, like or dislike something.
Do a research to make your point of view more clear and justify your argument which will then be stated in your thesis statement. You also have to gather enough evidence to support your standpoint. A clear viewpoint must be laid down with a supporting information to validate your opinion.
If youre asked to evaluate a certain book or an article, then the said material must be read first. You have to examine the material under evaluation before you can make any judgement. Gathering enough information before starting to write will help you make your standpoint clear. You can also make an outline to have a better clarification of your evaluation.
Start writing by creating a thesis statement, which should be clearly stated in the introduction of your essay. The introductory paragraph should also introduce the subject under evaluation. You can then give a little background on your topic to catch your readers interest.
Present the evidence, supporting your thesis statement, in the body of your essay. And after deciding for the main criteria of your subject, support it using quotes, anecdotes, facts, or statistics. You can start each paragraph with a topic sentence that links to your thesis statement. But remember to evaluate the two sides of your subject. You shouldnt sound biased in evaluating the issue, and make sure that the tone of your essay is always reasonable.
The conclusion should wrap your supported arguments, including your standpoint, yet, it should leave the readers with something to think of. End your essay by appealing to your readers that your point of view is right in such a way as showing that you have clearly understood the material you have evaluated.
Proofread your work for spelling and grammatical errors and dont forget to check the flow and transition of your information.
Writing an evaluation essay is like filling out a survey form to rate something. It is a way of finding out how you feel about a certain issue, in the same manner as writing about your point of view on a particular topic. And a sustaining evidence is always necessary to maintain your standpoint. So, to learn how to write an evaluation essay, just follow the above steps.Place Order Now