20 Argumentative Essay Topics For Middle School
An argumentative essay is designed to explain to your reader information about one side of an argument. It is a lot like a persuasive essay because the idea is to explain one side of an issue but the idea is to present the facts without your opinion involved. A persuasive essay would display personal opinions. So for an argumentative essay simply state which side of the issue you believe in and then give your reasoning as to why you believe it.
There are some great topics to consider when choosing a topic for your argumentative essay. You would choose a topic that interests you. Once you have the topic, answer the question and then support your answer with at least three reasons why you believe it. For example, if you take the first option on the list, you can write that sports should not be coed and then tell your reader three reasons why it shouldn’t be coed.
- Should sports be coed?
- Should schools sell fast food?
- Should students wear school uniforms?
- Should there be harsher punishments for bullying?
- Is it fair to ban preteenagers and teenagers from the mall without adult supervision?
- Should there be less homework?
- When are you old enough to stay home alone?
- Should middle school students still have a bed time?
- Does summer school benefit the student?
- How would you change the school lunch menu?
- Should school sports be mandatory?
- Do kids watch too much television?
- Should kids have chores?
- Should you have to wear your seat belt on the bus?
- Should students who play sports still have to take Gym class?
- Should children be more concerned with what they eat so that they don’t have health problems when they get older?
- Should you get a larger allowance?
- Should school be year round with more breaks to improve education?
- Do violent games and television shows make kids violent?
- Should your school have a school newspaper?
Any one of these topics would work well. They are designed to establish a question pertaining to a conflicted view and then challenge yourself to prove your stance. Therefore, you would tell your side of the dispute and then for each body paragraph talk about a different reason why you believe it.
Fifteen Great Argumentative Essay Topics For Middle Schools Students
An argumentative essay is a type of academic papers that students write in the middle school. This type of a paper teaches students how to take a position and defend it using good arguments and evidence. Often, topics for argumentative papers are related to the particular subjects, but sometimes students are free to choose almost any topic they want. This article contains a list of interesting topics that middle school students may pick to write their argumentative papers.
- The school calendar should be longer so that students could learn more.
- Modern technologies rather distract us from serious matters than help us.
- Current pop music won’t stand the test of time and will be soon forgotten.
- Women are better at finding compromises and collaborating with others.
- Some youth sports are too dangerous for players to be played at schools.
- National security is more important than the privacy of an individual person.
- Children should be able to dress up like they want.
- Schools should have healthier food for students.
- Couples should live at least half a year together before the marriage.
- The government should give more funds on scientific research.
- You may become a successful person without having a good education.
- Little children shouldn’t be given mobile phones and other electronic devices.
- Particular video games can be considered as pieces of art.
- Plenty of rape victims provoke their rapists by their behavior and appearance.
- Leaders of large corporations and countries treat people like resources.
These are decent topics that you may choose to write an interesting argumentative essay and earn an excellent grade for your work. However, a good topic isn’t enough for your paper to be persuasive. The key elements of good argumentative essays are their actual arguments. Many students fail to present good arguments because they come up with them in a wrong way. To create decent arguments, you should do plenty of research on your topic. Only when you know all the details, you’ll be able to take a determined position and come up with ideas to support it.
Here are some tips on how to do your research for an argumentative essay:
- Find books written by respected specialists related to your topic. You may consult your teacher on this matter or go to the school library.
- Use the Internet to find interesting articles and other information.
- Conduct interviews with specialists on your topic to use their opinions as support for your arguments.